We truly believe we are stronger together and having the right information could help you start a conversation, show support or change a life.
September is known around the world as Suicide Prevention Month. With the month closing out, we wanted to share all that we have learned as well as our collection of resources to support suicide prevention. We truly believe we are stronger together and having the right information could help you start a conversation, show support for your community or change a life.
A snapshot of suicide in Australia
A recent report by the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare unveiled a pretty alarming snapshot of suicide in Australia.
- In 2018 there were 3,046 reported deaths by suicide.
- 13% of Australians reported having had serious thoughts about taking their own life.
- 1 in 10 surveyed 12–17-year-olds reported having ever self-harmed.
- Suicide among ex-serving ADF men is 18% higher than in Australian men.
- Suicide is a pronounced issue for Indigenous youth.
- Indigenous males are more likely than females to die by suicide.
Suicide affects everyone. However, it appears children, ex-servicemen and women, and those who identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander are particularly affected.
Resources to support suicide prevention
We are only partway through our journey to understand suicide prevention.
While we want to shine a light on the issue, we don’t want to speak beyond our expertise. For this reason, we thought it best we offer a space on our site that houses some quick links that might help you find the information, support or resource you’re after.
24/7 support services
If you feel you are in crisis, these support services can be reached 24 hours a day:
- Lifeline 13 11 14
- Suicide Call Back Service 1300 659 467
- Kids Helpline 1800 55 1800
- MensLine Australia 1300 78 99 78
- Beyond Blue 1300 22 4636
Navigate conversations with people you are worried about
- Encourage action
Resources for those bereaved by suicide
Find a bereavement group:
If you’d like to help
For the month of September, we chose WINGS of Hope, which offer support for those bereaved by suicide, and ALIVE Project, a community-driven organisation of people and partners committed to ending youth suicide.
Here are a few ways you can offer your support to these organisations: